April 16th, 2012
Job Title: GIS Specialist (Interdisciplinary)
Department: Department Of The Interior
Agency: National Park Service
Job Announcement Number: GLBA637290ED
Closing Date: Wednesday, May 2, 2012
You will serve as the GIS Specialist for Glacier Bay National Park and Preserve, residing within the Resource Management Division, with responsibility for the development, management, coordination, and implementation of the Geographic Information System (GIS) for the Park and the design and management of various relational databases. The interdisciplinary nature of this position requires the programmatic integration of the knowledge of biological and physical resources, digital cartography, and geography to the development, analysis, and use of geographic and relational databases that are pertinent to the park resources.
Major duties include:
• Design, develop and manage geographic information systems and database management systems.
• Analyze geospatial data to determine resource conditions and trends, model predicted results of alternative management actions, and work to resolve resource management issues.
• Maintain hardware, peripherals, GPS units and GIS software installations.
• Participate in field GPS data collection projects and integrate GPS data with geographic information systems.
• Implement data documentation procedures and distribution using appropriate technologies and standards.
• Integrate biological and physical resources, digital cartography and geography to design geographic and relational databases pertinent to park resources.
• Work closely with park staff from multiple divisions to produce digital and hardcopy GIS products.
• Train and instruct others in the use of GIS applications and basic GIS, GPS, and related technology.
For questions regarding the duties of this position, please call Lisa Etherington at (907) 697-2640 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.